People like YOU make our work possible!
Each time we launch our boat, grab a water sample, or speak to a civic group… you’re there with us in spirit! The Coosa River has a head and a mouth, but no voice. Coosa Riverkeeper is the voice of the Coosa River, speaking on its behalf. We consider people like YOU, our membership, to be the heart of our organization!
One of this year’s biggest successes has been the expansion of our patrol fleet by adding a truck and a large deck boat, the Laura Moore II. The Laura Moore II, named after the only steamboat to ever navigate the entire Coosa River, has increased our ability to patrol our lakes! Plus, it will allow us to take important members like you with us on the river to see its beauty and the issues it faces!
With your support, we make ripples in the community…
- File Notice of Intent to Sue Childersburg’s Bailey Branch Lagoon for 1,844 violations of the Clean Water Act on Lay Lake, including excessive E. coli discharges
- Acquire and deploy new water quality sampling equipment
- Expand our outreach efforts to new parts of the watershed, hosting 21 events in 10 cities
- Comment and present technical arguments on the proposed limestone quarry in Vincent; the quarry will damage private property, endanger a public water supply, and introduce heavy sediment load into the river that will affect habitat of 3 federally endangered mussels and snails
- Acquire a new truck & patrol boat, Laura Moore II, with 5 times seating capacity for patrols than our previous boat, giving us the ability to take out members + community leaders on the river
- Continue to diversify the skill sets and representation of our Board of Directors, by adding two new board members, Beth Maynor Young and Kathleen Kirkpatrick
- Establish a partnership with Birmingham Southern College and UAB School of Public Health for internship opportunities for undergraduate and graduate level students
- Promote fisheries conservation through our five stage kayak fishing tournament series that utilizes a Catch-Photograph-Release methods
Thank you for your continual support and love for the Coosa River! Happy Holidays!
See you on the river in 2015,
Coosa Riverkeeper Staff & Board of Directors