Goodwin’s Mill Dam was a former dam on Big Canoe Creek near Springville, AL. The dam was constructed in the 1880’s and used as a grist mill to grind corn and wheat for farmers from Springville, Asheville and even Argo until it was abandoned in the 1940s. In 2013, Coosa Riverkeeper, the US Fish & Wildlife Service, The Nature Conservancy, and The Friends of Big Canoe Creek removed the structure to restore fish passage and stop stream bank erosion. Other partners in this project included Alabama Power Company, Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources, and the Geological Survey of Alabama.
Please check back on December 1st for a video about the dam removal!